By: Bradley Friedrich and Mat Fluker
Recently, former NBA star Kobe Bryant passed away in a tragic helicopter accident. Kobe provided us basketball fans with a plethora of memorable moments, so we ranked our top 10 favorite Kobe Bryant moments in his honor.
10. 1 on 1, to 100: He made his high school teammates play 1 on 1 with him to 100, instead of the typical 11 or 21, so Kobe could get as much practice as possible.
9. Kobe don’t Flinch: NBA player Matt Barnes attempted to make a fool out of Kobe by pretending to throw a basketball at his face from point blank range. Kobe, to Barnes’ surprise, did not flinch even a bit, leaving Barnes labeled as the fool and fans with one of the memorable moments of Kobe’s career.
8. Left Handed Kobe: He hurt his right hand, and trained himself to shoot left handed so he could play. Later in his career in 2015, Kobe checked into a game and proceeded to shoot left handed in order to help his team win.
7. Playing through pain: Kobe averaging 40 points per game in the month of March despite having a torn labrum
6. 62 points in 3 quarters: Kobe Scored 62 points in three quarters; the team he played against, the Dallas Mavericks, only scored 61 during that time.
5. Kobe… TO SHAQ!: Alley Oop Game: In the win or go home game 7 of the 2000 Western Conference Finals, Kobe Bryant threw an iconic alley oop to teammate Shaquille O’neal, who promptly threw it down to go up by two scores on the Trail Blazers with 30 seconds left in the game, effectively sealing the series.
4. “This was your fault”: Scored 61 points in Madison Square Garden after Spike Lee berated him, so he sent Lee the scorecard with his signature saying “This was your fault”
3. Achilles game: Kobe Bryant got fouled, and tore his achilles.However, he proceeded to shoot, and make, both free throws and walk to the locker room on his own power before getting medical attention.
2. Kobe’s Final Game: In Kobe Bryant’s final NBA Game, he scored 60 points on 50 shots against the Utah Jazz, leading the Lakers to a win in a game that epitomizes Kobe Bryant and his play style.
1. 81: On January 22, 2006, Kobe Bryant scored a whopping 81 points against the Toronto Raptors. This is a Lakers’ team record for points in a game, and is the second most points anyone has scored in a single game in NBA history.
Rest in peace Kobe, and thank you for everything you did for the game of basketball.